Monday, November 29, 2010

Week One Comments - Renee


Renee commented:

After reading the professor who gave everyone an “A” at the beginning of the class, it reminded me of my own experience. Being the spouse of an employee who worked at Antioch University, I had an opportunity to acquire my Bachelor’s degree at no cost. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. When I went to orientation, one of the instructors explained the grading process, pass or fail. An outline was given for each course with the expectations/criteria for the pass and fail grade scale. I became very excited about this concept. During class, our discussions were engaging and we learned from each other. Students were not afraid to express themselves or their ideas. I looked forward to class and worked hard to find ways to contribute to the discussions as did other students. At the end of my schooling, I felt as though I had gotten so much more from my education than I would have if the school implemented the traditional grading scale.

Now I take this reading and I examine my children’s grades. My second oldest is very smart. Our conversations end with me thinking differently about a topic. However, looking at his grade card, it shows him being an A/B student. He is taking a course on exploratory technology. He was very excited the first few weeks of the course because of the hands on activities and the opportunity to take the robotics part to the next level if they could. This is something that he is interested in pursuing after high school. However, once the teacher stopped using the hands on activities and went to lecturing, my son lost interest in the class. He no longer feels challenged. His “A” in the class is now a “B”. Is he a "B" student? I don't believe so. He lost the motivation of free learning. If he, in turn, would be allowed to grade the teacher, what grade would it be? Grades are not what make us who we are; it is what we do that makes us who we are.



Communication:

In response to your view on the teachers classroom grading procedures I am reminded of a meeting that I had with a parent not to long ago. It is an interesting topic and one that I continue to examine. As an educator myself the idea and the thought about what grades are given to my students and the manner in which I grade my students has raised a reflective critique as to whether I am being fair and applying the correct rubric for my learners and the manner in which they will all be graded. In keeping with Gardner's Multiple Intelligences we must keep in mind our population and accommodate their style of learning and develop a most clear and precise grading policy that will allow for everyone to succeed with their own strengths and weaknesses.


Blog Title: Week 1 Post 4: The Art of Possibility Chapters 1-3
Blogger: Renee Barber
URL http://reneesfsoinablog.blogspot.com/
Retrieved on November 29, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment